Specialising in all areas of agricultural law, Hill Dickinson’s farming and agriculture team comprises legal experts from across our business, dedicated to dealing with all of your legal needs - from inheritance tax and probate to alternative energy and equine law.
This means that you can focus on farming and agriculture, whilst saving time, effort and money by using one full service legal provider.
Hill Dickinson is an award-winning international law firm with national and regional expertise. As part of our service, we are pleased to offer initial advice and consultation in Welsh and prepare wills in Welsh if desired.
Agriculture legal services include:
- Alternative energy
- Boundary disputes>
- Contentious probate and contested estates
- Environmental issues
- Equine law
- Income tax, capital gains tax (CGT) and VAT
- Inheritance tax and estate planning
- Land and farm sales and purchases
- Partnership formation, dissolution and disputes
- Planning, development of agricultural land and overage agreements
- Powers of Attorney and succession planning
- Rights of way and easements
- Sporting rights
- Tenancies and tenancy disputes
- Wills and probate
Agriculture industry experts
Our team of experts maintain industry best practice, and includes members of:
- The Agricultural Law Association (ALA)
- The Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners
- The Chartered Institute of Taxation
- The Law Society Property and Probate Sections
- Solicitors for the Elderly
- Providing initial advice on tax and other implications for a client considering erecting their own wind turbines to sell power to the National Grid.
- Advising and working with surveyors, planning consultants and auctioneers to successfully split an established family farm into lots, some with development potential, to achieve the best result at auction.
- Dealing with a complex family dispute relating to the division of a substantial farm, following the death of the sole farmer. We advised in relation to entitlements, negotiating and implementing the terms of an agreed variation of the inheritance.
- Advising in relation to the administration of a large farming estate worth over £1 million, including the division of land between surviving family members, negotiation with HM Revenue and Customs in relation to considerable inheritance tax liabilities, and completion of a deed of variation to implement a tax efficient trust structure for the future.
- Advising a commercial farmer on an option agreement, to result in a multimillion pound sale of development land.
We work with family businesses, partnerships and individuals through to larger commercial organisations in the agriculture sector.
“My family and I have been with Hill Dickinson and its incorporated firms in Chester for close on 100 years. We have always been very satisfied with the work they have done for us. If we hadn’t been we would have moved! They have always been there for us over all that time.” Alvanley farmer