Hill Dickinson’s health team is able to provide expert advice on all matters relating to the coroners' jurisdiction. We appreciate that inquests can be high-profile occasions, raising issues for trusts that require robust legal advice and sound management.
We also recognise that skilled handling of an inquest can avert potential claims for compensation and that early evaluation can secure a quick settlement.
Areas of expertise include:
- The Human Tissue Act 2005 and post mortem examinations
- Supporting trust staff through the inquest process
- Advising on the content of serious untoward incident investigations
- Assisting trusts and their staff when there is a police investigation following a death, including advice on the Corporate Manslaughter and Corporate Homicide Act 2007
- Advocacy at coroners’ inquests
- Dealing with complex Article 2 inquests, including those involving allegations of gross negligence, manslaughter, neglect and system neglect
- Advising on the wide-ranging issues that can arise following a death in custody
- Judicial review of inquests
- Dealing with the media
- Training in all aspects of coronial law, including corporate manslaughter and practical tips on writing statements for the coroner and giving evidence in court
- +44 (0)151 600 8249