The Hill Dickinson healthcare team offers a confidential advisory service to the boards of NHS bodies on all governance, probity and accountability issues. A number of our partners hold the position of secretary to NHS boards.
We are able to advise on the agendas for board meetings and the applicability of board standing orders. We can also help with standing financial instructions and matters relating to conflicts of interest.
We have also supported several foundation trusts with their applications for foundation trust status. This has involved assisting with consultation requirements, the formation of the trust’s membership and the drafting of an appropriate constitution.
We have also advised on the role and responsibilities of board members and governors, as well as the legal implications of foundation trust status.
Areas of expertise include:
- Attendance at and advice at board meetings
- The extent of the powers of NHS bodies
- Advice on procedural and legal requirements, including the interpretation of standing orders and standing financial instructions
- Advice on board policies and procedures and the terms of reference of board committees
- Advice on foundation trust status applications, the drafting of constitutions and on governance arrangements for foundation trusts