Minimising the impact of catastrophic injury
Low frequency, high impact incidents present complex considerations for insurers. Balancing these issues with rapid action is essential to achieve the optimum outcome for both the injured party and insurer.
- Catastrophic injury claims inflation continues to accelerate significantly ahead of that of high volume claims.
- The implementation of Ogden 7 will add further to cost pressures.
- Addressing the rehabilitation needs of the injured party has impacts significantly on the final outcome for all parties.
- Cases often attract media attention, creating associated considerations for the insured.
Catastrophic injury claims
Hill Dickinson operates one of the largest insurance practices within the UK. We have notable catastrophic personal injury experience, including cases of head or spinal injury, loss of limb, loss of sight and multiple orthopaedic trauma.
We utilise significant expertise and a network of sector specialists to:
- focus upon the injured party whilst protecting your position;
- deliver early stage liability advice;
- adopt an early intervention strategy;
- support appropriate, timely rehabilitation;
- give due regard to care regimes, mental capacity, life expectancy, periodical payments, indexation and the impact of statutory funding;
- constructively communicate with claimant solicitors and relevant experts to achieve early resolution; and
- offer the full range of alternative dispute resolution options.
- The claimant benefits from a professional and fair approach which encourages early rehabilitation.
- Insurers enjoy the confidence to settle genuine claims appropriately whilst controlling cost.
- The brand of the insurer and insured is protected throughout the process.
Proven track record
Examples of results achieved by our catastrophic injury experts include:
- Approximately £1 million saving for insurer client in relation to catastrophic head injury to a 32 year old male. Liability was denied in the light of early investigation and following firm repudiation the claim was withdrawn.
- Achieving significant improvement in function and cost saving (reserve £1.5 million) by early intervention and appropriate rehabilitation of an employee who sustained multiple head and spinal injuries following a fall into machinery.
- Defending a chemical exposure claim involving burns to the skin, eyes and damage to 50% of lung function of a 29 year old, resulting in substantial saving to our client.
- £750, 000 saving for client on a claim by a 34 year own male, who has become trapped in a defective lift sustaining multiple orthopaedic and internal injuries. Liability was denied, and a letter of claim issued against the lift manufacturer.