Taking your first steps in your legal career are important. We offer you support and guidance as you embark on your journey.
We offer you all the information you need to know what it is like to work at Hill Dickinson and how to apply for one of our training contracts across our offices, both UK and international.
Training with us
What to expect
- A small intake – we recruit to retain, so for 2020 we are only taking on up to 14 trainees
- Support - we have the resources to give you as much support as you need
- Immediate responsibilities – you’ll be valued, respected and given challenges from the start
- Choices – you’ll be able to select your preferences from a variety of areas of law
- A financial helping hand – if you’ve been offered a place with us before you start your LPC, we’ll give you a maintenance grant (£5000 for our northern offices and £7000 for our London office)
- A mentor – a Hill Dickinson solicitor will be on hand throughout your training contract to offer advice, guidance and support
- A fair salary – at our northern offices, our NQ solicitors earn within a range, up to £40,000 a year dependent on discipline. At our London offices, NQ solicitors earn within a range, up to £58,000 a year dependent on discipline
- Benefits – a selection to choose from including annual season ticket loans, a health cash plan, health insurance, pension scheme and childcare vouchers
- A bespoke LPC+ course - covering presentation skills, networking, marketing methods, tenders, pitching for business and effective team working
- Warm, friendly people – you’ll find down-to-earth, approachable colleagues throughout the firm
- A good social scene – our trainees work hard but there’s plenty going on off-duty too, from abseils to race nights
Seats and locations
Your training contract will comprise four seats, each lasting six months. As we’re a full service law firm, there are around 20 areas of law to choose from for your seats. We try our best to balance your preferences with business and client needs.
If you’re based in London, at least one of your seats will be related to marine law.
Trainees with an interest in marine work can also apply for a seat in our Singapore office.
Banking, commercial and intellectual property, commercial litigation, construction, corporate, employment, fraud, health litigation, healthcare, insurance, professional risks, property, shipping
Aviation, commodities, corporate commercial, employment, marine regulatory, professional risks, property, shipping, sport, media and entertainment, yachts
Cargo and logistics, commercial and intellectual property, commercial litigation, construction, corporate, employment, fraud, health litigation, healthcare, insurance, pensions
The ideal candidate
The ideal candidate would:
- have academic ability; you’ll need a 2:1 at degree level and ABB at A-level or equivalent
- be a team player – we work across all our offices as one firm
- be commercially aware and understands what clients need from us
- have a passion for a career in law, and first-hand experiences to demonstrate that.
We value diversity in our employees and recognise the importance of employing people from all sorts of backgrounds with different skills and interests. We believe in creating an inclusive work environment where everyone has the opportunity to succeed.
If you’re serious about training with us, we recommend applying for our vacation scheme.
Spend time with us to see first-hand what day-to-day life is like, and to decide if we are the firm for you. Get a feel for the working environment, culture, the location, the type of work we do and the general atmosphere.
It’s also your chance to show us how serious you are about a career in law. Impress us during your vacation placement, and you’ll already be on our radar for the training contract application process.
We offer one week vacation placements at departments in our Liverpool, London and Manchester offices.
As a minimum you will need a 2:1 at degree level and ABB at A-level.
Vacation scheme dates 2018
Weeks commencing 18 and 25 June 2018
Weeks commencing 2 and 9 July 2018
Applications for the 2018 scheme open on 1 November 2017 and close on 31 January 2018. Apply online
How to apply
You can make your training contract application online. Applications for 2020 training contracts open on 1 November 2017.
The closing date for applications is 31 July 2018.
Once your application has been submitted, and provided it meets our criteria, you’ll be asked to complete a psychometric test. Tests are administered weekly and come with a time limit, so be sure to check your emails regularly for notification.
You can track the progress of your application online.
Application hints and tips
1. Do your homework
Before you apply for a training contract, decide what’s important to you in a potential employer. Set some criteria, and then do the research.
2. Be sure Hill Dickinson is the right firm for you
We want applicants to really get to know us first before they decide to apply. Our trainee recruitment activity starts in October; come along and meet us, and/or apply for a vacation scheme.
3. Make your first impression a good one
Take your time on all questions. Answer the questions in full. Stick to the word limit. Check spelling and grammar.
4. Be prepared for your assessment day
The day will consist of an interview, written exercise, group exercise and presentation. Think about the skills you need and examples specific to you. Dress smartly. Prepare some questions. And don’t be afraid to voice your opinions.
Dates and deadlines
October – November: Come and see us at your nearest law fair:
- 11 October 2017, Liverpool. The Crypt Hall, Liverpool Metropolitan Cathedral
- 26 October 2017, King’s College. Great Hall, King’s Building
- 14 November 2017, UCL. North and South Cloisters, Wilkins Building, UCL
- 14 November 2017, Manchester. Manchester Central Convention Centre
- 15 November 2017, Southampton. Hartley Suite, University of Southampton
November: Applications open 1 November 2017 for training contracts starting in 2020, and vacation placements in 2018
January: Applications close 31 January 2018 for vacation scheme placements
February: Applicants are shortlisted for vacation scheme placements.
April: Vacation scheme candidates informed of outcome.
June - July: Summer vacation scheme placements start in Liverpool, London and Manchester.
July: Applications close 31 July 2018 for 2020 training contracts in Liverpool, Manchester and London.
August: Invitations to assessment centres sent
Mid-August: Assessment centres commence